Crab Cake Sliders with Corn & Scallion Salsa
Crab cakes originated as a humble fisherman’s dish and they are now incorporated into many different cuisines around the world. These delicate cakes are great both on their own as an appetizer! We love serving crab cake-themed appetizers throughout the holidays! Not only are they an easy fix (thanks to our homemade, pre-made mix), they’re absolutely delicious!
Origin of Crab Cakes
Typically associated with the area around Chesapeake Bay, Maryland, the first recipe for crab cakes was penned by Crosby Gaige in 1930, but it is thought that they were gaining in popularity before this.Combining crab with filler was a great way to stretch the meat and make a meal when times were tight during depression era thirties.
What Makes “Jumbo Lump” So Special
One of the most coveted bits of the blue crab, is the jumbo lump meat. Jumbo lump crab meat comes from the large muscles connected to the fin-like swimming legs, an area most crab aficionados call ‘the body’. It is the largest, succulent, delicate, and most desired part of the crab. Lump crab meat is composed of smaller pieces of jumbo lump as well as smaller pieces of meat from the body. Like jumbo lump, lump crab meat is absolutely delicious, tender, delicate, sweet, and buttery.
Crab Cake Sliders with Corn & Scallions Salsa Recipe
Get ready for a favor sensation! We have so many palate-pleasing elements in this recipe. In one tasty corner, you have our award wining crab cakes, a scrumptious combination of sweet, buttery lump crab meat, Maryland-style seasonings, mayo, and bread crumbs. In the other culinary corner, you have this zesty corn and scallion salsa, lightly seasoned with fresh lime juice and garlic with these pops of color from the tomatoes and bell peppers. And, for a third corner surprise, we bring all of these flavors together with a green chili tartar sauce, substituting the traditional relish for zingy green chilies.
Crab Cake Sliders with Corn & Scallions Salsa
Corn & Scallion Salsa
- 2 cups yellow corn kernels fresh or frozen (if frozen, thawed and drained)
- 1/2 cup fresh scallions sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove peeled and minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
Green Chili Tartar Sauce
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons canned green chilies drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 each 8oz packages of Cameron’s Seafood Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes
- 1 stick of butter divided
- 16 Hawaiian-style dinner rolls split and toasted
- Place corn, scallions, tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir to combine, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place mayonnaise, chilie, cilantro, sour cream, taco seasoning, and lime juice in a medium bowl, whisk to combine, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Portion the crab cake mix into smaller, 2oz patty-sized portions (each 8oz container will get you 4 smaller crab cakes). Working in batches, melt butter (a couple tablespoons at a time) in a large skillet. Once melted, add the mini crab cakes to the skillet (be careful not to overcrowd) and cook until both sides are nicely golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from the skillet and repeat with the remaining butter and portioned crab cake mix.
- Spoon and spread about 1 tablespoon of tartar sauce onto each toasted roll. Top the rolls with crab cakes and salsa and serve immediately. Try to wait until the very last minute before adding the salsa to the sliders, if assembled for long, they will get a little soggy.
Buy Fresh Maryland Crab Cakes Online
No need to bother with frequent trips to the grocery store, Cameron’s Seafood is delivered right to your door! We offer customizable shipping options, allowing you to determine when and where you’d like your goodies delivered. On the day your order is scheduled to ship, we catch, prepare and package your order with care, in an insulated box. Our seafood should always reach your doorstep cold and securely packaged (you deserve the best!). That is why we guarantee your shipment with cash refunds or reships. 100% satisfaction is our guarantee! Shop our entire catalog of exceptional seafood here. And, be sure to check out the crab cakes featured in this article!
About the author
Patterson Watkins is a professional chef with over 17 years of experience. With a robust career in restaurants, contract dining and catering (including 4 Summer Olympic posts preparing food for the athletes!) Patterson joined the Cameron’s Seafood team at the end of 2018 to concoct some delicious recipes with our premium seafood items as the centerpiece.