Crab Cakes with Onion Remoulade
A jumbo lump crab cake is typically a patty made with crab meat and then fried. But there are so many ways to enjoy crab cakes; you can have them as an appetizer, a sandwich, as the base for eggs benedict… the possibilities are endless. We have chosen to share with you a crab cake with onion remoulade recipe that we love. It is adapted from Mark Forgione’s recipe on the Food & Wine website and showcases the crab cake as an appetizer. You could easily turn these jumbo lump crab cakes into a meal by serving them with a side salad or pasta.
Cameron’s jumbo lump crab meat is the perfect crab to use for this recipe; just add a binding ingredient, like mayonnaise or eggs, and your choice of seasonings.
Crab Cakes with Onion Remoulade
- 1 medium onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1½ tbsp chives minced
- 1 tbsp shallots minced
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 lb Cameron’s Jumbo Lump Maryland Crab Meat
- ½ cup cooking oil
- ¼ cup red onion minced
- ¼ cup red pepper seeded and minced
- 1 tbsp jalapeno seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp tarragon minced
- ¼ tsp hot sauce
- 3 lg eggs
- 1¼ cups rice flour
- 4 cups flaked corn cereal finely crushed
- Preheat your oven broiler. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the onions with the cooking oil, salt, and pepper. Broil 8 inches away from the broiler’s element for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are slightly charred. Let the onions cool and then chop.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the onions, mayonnaise, vinegar, chives, shallots, chili powder, and paprika. Refrigerate the remoulade until needed.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tbsp of the cooking oil. Add the red onion, red pepper, and jalapeno, then cook for about 7 minutes until soft. Stir in the brandy and Old Bay seasoning and cook for 1 minute. Remove the veggie, and let cool in a large bowl.
- Stir the mayonnaise, lemon juice, parsley, tarragon, and hot sauce into the vegetables. Gently fold in the Jumbo lump crab. Shape the mixture into 6 cakes and put them on a wax or parchment lined plate. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl. Spread the rice flour and the crushed flaked corn cereal out in 2 separate shallow bowls. Make sure each crab cake is packed well so that they hold their shape. Dredge each cake in the rice flour, dip them in the egg, and then cover in the corn cereal. Gently tap down the cereal on the cakes to make sure it sticks well. Place the crab cakes on a plate.
- Heat the remaining cooking oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add the crab cakes and cook over medium high heat, turning once, until golden brown on both sides; this should take roughly 5 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook the crab cakes for an additional 5 minutes. Serve with a generous dollop of your onion remoulade.
Buy Maryland Blue Crab Online
Visit Cameron’s Seafood online to purchase jumbo lump Maryland crab meat for your crab cakes. You can choose our 1-day shipping method to get your crab delivered as quickly as possible.
By: Melanie Craighead