Spice. Cream. Crab.
Is there any better combination?
Today we have a fantastic family recipe with all three!
If you’re having a dinner party this weekend, why not try our recipe for east coast spicy and creamy crab chowder? This dish has been tried, tested and certified by generations of east coasters.
Don’t know where to get your crab meat? Cameron’s Seafood has the perfect fresh lump crab meat to make this tasty crab chowder! Order your crabs using their secure online store and receive your delivery within 24-48 hours.
Our spicy and creamy crab chowder recipe is incredibly versatile and will hit the spot all year round. Pair it in the summer with a crisp sauvignon blanc, or in the winter with a warm sweater and your favorite book!
This easy-to-make recipe is sure to be a hit with guests so we’re going to give you the recipe for a 6 person meal size, or 12 appetizer size servings. (But feel free to eat the entire batch yourself, if you so desire…)
Sometimes, you just make too much seafood and have to freeze your leftovers. Luckily, this recipe freezes well for months, so you can keep coming back for more whenever you have a craving. One thing’s for sure: after one serving, you’ll crave it again.
It tastes incredible, and it’s calorie conscious. If you opt to use milk instead of cream, the recipe comes in at just 344 calories per serving!
When serving this creamy crab chowder in summer, we typically give a little nod to our neighbors to the north and throw in a half cup of maple syrup. The sweetness of the maple syrup really cools down the spice on those hot summer nights.
This crab recipe is simple and fun to prepare. Any home cook can create this spicy crab soup recipe in under an hour. So let’s SHOP NOW!
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 medium sized Shallots, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and chopped finely
- 1 hot pepper chopped finely (typically, we use fresh jalapeno, but feel free to use whichever pepper tickles your fancy)
- 8-10 potatoes chopped into small cubes, ½ centimeter each
- 4 cups spinach
- 1 cup asparagus chopped into 1-cm lengths
- 4 tablespoons of Cajun spice
- 3 – 4 cups of Cameron’s lump Maryland crab meat
- 3 – 4 cups of chicken bouillon
- 2-3 cups of light cream or whole milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional but amazing: ½ cup of maple syrup
- In a heavy bottom pot, melt butter and add shallots and garlic at medium heat.
- Sauté until slightly golden in color.
- Add hot pepper, Cajun spice and potato.
- Sauté until potatoes are golden and covered in Cajun spice.
- Stir in crab meat, asparagus and spinach and cook until slightly soft to the touch.
- Add in chicken bouillon and stir.
- Add milk or cream to desired thickness of chowder.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Continue to simmer over low heat, stirring until ready to serve.
When finished, the chowder should be a nice deep reddish orange.
We recommend enjoying this spicy crab chowder with some fresh garlic bread and a green salad!
Nutritional Ingredients per serving:
- Calories: 344
- Carbs: 42g
- Fat: 46g
- Protein: 17g
- Sugar: 6g
If you felt adventurous and opted to add the maple syrup, just tack on another gram of sugar!
Please note that these nutritional facts are subject to change with recipe modifications and personal taste.
This recipe typically takes around 45 minutes to get to its desired thickness, but you can easily adjust it to whatever thickness you’d like.
If you or any of your house guests are lactose intolerant, substitute the dairy for some coconut milk. It provides a fantastic lactose free option without sacrificing any of the amazing taste.
This creamy crab chowder recipe has been prepared for countless house guests as both an appetizer and main course and can be served all year round. Most guests end up emailing the next day asking for the recipe.
Feel free to go ahead and share this recipe with all of your friends and family on social media! We promise they’ll love it just as much as we do!
Landlocked and don’t have fresh crab meat near you? Not to worry – Cameron’s Seafood has you covered! Cameron’s delivers fresh Maryland seafood throughout the United States, and you can purchase your fresh seafood instantly through the new online store. It has never been so easy to get fresh seafood delivered straight to your door in under 48 hours!