Delicious Deviled Crab Croquettes
If you search for deviled crab, you are going to come up with two different types of recipes: a baked crab mixture or a deep fried crab croquette.
Today we are sharing with you one of our versions of deviled crab croquettes. They are soft yet crunchy, delicate, and flavorful. They are perfect either as an appetizer or served with a salad for a lighter meal. We use our succulent fresh lump crab meat as the star in these delicious crab croquettes. They turn out crispy on the outside but soft and fluffy on the inside with bursts of crab flavor interspersed throughout.
Deviled Crab Recipe
- 1 lb Cameron’s Lump Maryland Crab Meat
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 3 hard-boiled eggs diced
- 1 celery stalk finely diced
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried parsley
- pinch of mustard powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1½ cups bread crumbs
- cooking oil to fill 1 ½ inches of a large sized pot
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together your Lump Maryland Crab Meat, mashed potatoes, diced hard-boiled eggs, celery, onion, raw egg, and all the spices.
- With clean hands, form the mixture into small footballs (about 2 inches in length) and roll them carefully in the bread crumbs to coat. If your mixture is feeling too loose to roll in the bread crumbs, put the croquettes in the fridge for about an hour and then roll them in the breadcrumbs. Put the croquettes into the fridge and chill for half an hour so the crumbs adhere well to the croquettes.
- Pour about an inch and a half of cooking oil into a large pot over high heat and once it is hot enough (test by putting in a little piece of a croquette, if it sizzles it is hot enough), fry your croquettes. Be careful not to crowd the pot, you want to cook your croquettes in batches to keep the oil at a high heat. Turn the deviled crab croquettes while cooking if you need to, this will ensure the croquettes get crispy and golden brown all over. Take the croquettes out of the pot when done and place on a plate with some paper towel to soak up any extra oil.
- Now your deviled crab croquettes are ready to eat!
- They are great on their own or you could serve them with a dipping sauce. We served ours with a chipotle sauce: equal parts mayonnaise, sour cream, and finely diced chipotles in adobo sauce.
- We hope you will try these deviled crab croquettes at home! Post pictures and connect with us on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter, and let us know what you think. We would love to hear what your favorite sauces or side dishes are to serve with your deviled crab recipe.
Buy Maryland Blue Crab Online
Don’t forget that you can purchase our beautiful crab meat on our online store and it will be delivered right to your door. Our product selection isn’t limited to just crabs either – check out all of our online seafood products on our website.
Happy shopping and cooking and we will be back soon with another seafood post!
By: Melanie Craighead