Homemade Guacamole and Crab Legs
Get ready for this mouth-watering combination of homemade guacamole and crab! This pairing is perfect for potlucks, parties, or casual snacking at home. Heck, I can easily (and happily) munch on crab legs and guacamole for my lunch or dinner meal!
Mariscos are a big BIG deal in Mexican cuisine. The name literally translates to mean ‘seafood’ or ‘shellfish’ and references a wide array of shellfish-themed dishes. With around 10,000 kilometers of coastline, bordering two major bodies of water; Pacific Oceans and the Gulf of Mexico, it comes as no surprise that seafood plays a major role. From appetizers to mains, Mariscos are not just a tasty meal but a way of life.
Gulf of Mexico & Pacific Ocean Jaibas
Whether perusing seaside stalls or beachside fine dining establishments, you’re bound to see jaiba (crabs) on the menu. Depending on the coast, there are two main species that frequent Mexican dining tables; Dungeness crabs and Blue crabs. With this guacamole and crab leg combination, you can dip or crack and sprinkle the guac with that succulent crab meat- there really is no wrong way to enjoy this recipe.
Dungeness Crab Legs
About one-quarter of this crab’s weight is meat! The flesh has what is considered to be a delicate flavor and slightly sweet taste. It has a slightly sweeter flavor than snow and king crabs, and generally does not possess an ocean scent. Our high quality Dungeness crab legs are pre-cooked just right, ready to be steamed or served chilled. Dungeness crab legs make a perfect appetizer or a decadent meal for your whole family.
Blue Crab Claws
To sustain them through the winter, large blue crabs have to build up extra fat stores which gives them that sweet, buttery flavor you won’t find in other types of crabs. Blue crab claws are easily cracked and picked, releasing that spectacular meat, the perfect ingredient for casual mariscos recipes.
South of the Border Seafood Seasoning
This recipe calls for a unique spice called Tajin. It’s a branded product that can easily be purchased online, with many grocery chains starting to carry the product. I like to think of it as the south of the border Old Bay. It is a little zestier than Old Bay with pops of chili pepper and lime. If you are struggling to find Tajin, feel free to use Old Bay spiked with a little extra chili powder and lime zest.
This recipe serves approximately 4-6 folks and uses 3 lbs. of either Blue Crab Claws or Colossal Dungeness Crab Legs
Homemade Guacamole & Crab Legs
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons garlic peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons Tajin Seasoning
- 8 avocados peeled
- 2 limes juiced (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup vine-ripe tomatoes diced
- 2 teaspoons Tajin Seasoning plus a little extra for sprinkling
- Jalapeño slices for garnish optional
- Lime wedges for a little squeeze of citrus
- Plus oodles of tortilla chips for dipping as well.
- If necessary, thaw your crab legs and claws thoroughly. Steam (for a hot appetizer) or keep chilled (either way is very tasty).
- Place the crab legs/claws in a large bowl and season with lime juice, garlic, and seasoning, toss to coat. Keep refrigerated or keep warm until ready to serve.
- Place avocados in a large bowl (you can also use the traditional mortar and pestle) with the lime juice, salt, garlic, and cilantro, using a fork or potato masher, mash until semi-smooth and combined.
- Add the red onion, tomatoes, and Tajin, stir to combine.
- Serve ASAP with some jalapeño slices, lime wedges, tortillas chips, and, of course, those tasty marinated crab legs/claws.
Pinched on Time? No worries, We Deliver!
These crab claws don’t pinch! They won’t pinch your time or your wallet! Say goodbye to the hassle of dealing with fake, undersized, overpriced, crabs claws and legs- – because you deserve the best crabs in the world delivered right to your door at the lowest prices on the internet. Shop our selection of Crab Legs here and don’t forget to check out our Blue Crab options too, they can be found here.
Let us know what you think of this recipe! We’re @cameronsseafoodonline on Instagram and @CameronsSeafood on Facebook.
About the author
Patterson Watkins is a professional chef with over 17 years of experience. With a robust career in restaurants, contract dining and catering (including 4 Summer Olympic posts preparing food for the athletes!) Patterson joined the Cameron’s Seafood team at the end of 2018 to concoct some delicious recipes with our premium seafood items as the centerpiece.