Mexican Crab and Tortilla Soup
Cozy comfort food (with a twist) at it’s finest. This easy 30 minute Mexican crab & tortilla soup does not scrimp on the flavor. A chunky tomato broth is simmered with Mexican spices and filled with black beans, corn, crispy tortillas and our very special jumbo lump crab meat-not to mention fabulous topping combinations to suit any taste.
Slow Cooker or Instant Pot. Either appliance can be used to modify this Mexican tortilla soup recipe.
For the slow cooker, sauté the onion, garlic and poblano with the seasonings as instructed below. Add this mix to your slow cooker and whisk in the chipotle peppers, tomato paste, broth, diced tomatoes, beans and corn. Set dial to low and let slowly simmer for a maximum of 10 hours. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in jumbo lump crab meat to reheat. Top bowls as instructed.
For the Instant Pot, set program to sauté and follow the instructions below for sautéing the vegetables and whisking in the chipotle peppers, tomato paste, broth, diced tomatoes, beans and corn. Change the program setting to slow cook and let simmer, lid secured, for a maximum of 10 hours. About 10 minutes before serving, stir in jumbo lump crab meat to reheat. Top bowls as instructed. You can also let Mexican tortilla soup simmer on the sauté setting for the time allotted in the instructions below, lid secured of course. Or simmer Mexican tortilla soup (for either a slow cooker or Instant Pot) on the ‘high’ slow cooker setting for a maximum of 4 hours.
Mexican Crab and Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and minced
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and minced
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 cups seafood broth
- 1 1/4 cups canned diced tomatoes drained
- 3/4 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 1 lb. Cameron’s Seafood Jumbo Lump Crab Meat drained
- salt to taste
- 1 cup tortilla chips broken or slightly crushed
- sour cream
- queso fresco or shredded cheddar
- fresh cilantro
- avocado chunks
- lime wedges
- jalapeno slices optional
- hot sauce optional
- In a large pot heat oil over medium high heat and sauté the onion, garlic and poblano pepper for 2 minutes or until tender. Sprinkle in the chili powder, cumin and oregano and stir, toasting the seasonings for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chipotle peppers, tomato paste and seafood broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium and stir in diced tomatoes, black beans, corn and jumbo lump crab meat. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Season to taste with salt before sprinkling in the crushed tortilla chips and ladling and serving. Top with any combination of toppings.
Buy Maryland Blue Crab Online
You can buy our Jumbo Lump Maryland Crab Meat (as well as many other delicious seafood products) from our online store. All of Cameron’s Maryland Crab Meat comes straight from the Chesapeake Bay to your door with guaranteed freshness. The best crab meat in the world comes from Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs.
Show us how you beat the cold with your Cameron’s Seafood winter warmer recipes. Whether you make this delicious recipe or have one of your own that you would like to share-we’d love to hear from you. Post your own Cameron’s Seafood dish on Instagram and tag us @cameronsseafoodonline. We’re also on Facebook and Twitter, we look forward seeing your creations.
By: Patterson Watkins