Crabby Club Wraps
Are you looking for a delicious idea to round out your weekly meals? Then let me introduce you to one of our lunch-time favorites, our Crabby Club Wrap. These tasty wraps are made using classic club sandwich elements remixed with a show stopping jumbo lump crab salad.
We love infusing our day to day goodies with crab meat. We feel that any recipe that uses traditional lunch-like ingredients; turkey, ham, tuna, egg, etc… can be enhanced using crab meat as a creative swap.
Brief History of the Club Sandwich
There’s a little culinary mystery and speculation surrounding the ‘Club Sandwich’. One account attributes the creation to a ‘gentlemen’s only gambling establishment’ called the Saratoga Club House, in Saratoga Springs, NY around the 1890’s. They created a signature, late-night sandwich called the ‘Clubhouse’. Like the BLT, some folks think that the origins of the Club comes from an acronym; chicken and lettuce under bacon, but that theory isn’t attributed to a singular person or place. What we do know, after the so-called creation in the late 1890’s, this sandwich gained national popularity. Good Housekeeping, in 1903, published a recipe for the Club Sandwich and, in 1904, the Club Sandwich was a feature on many menus at the World’s Fair in St. Louis.
The Club Sandwich reinvented, Maryland-style
Crabby Club Wraps
Jumbo Lump Crab Salad
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 2 tablespoons red onion peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 lb. Cameron’s Jumbo Lump Crab Meat
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 bibb or green leaf lettuce leaves
- 3 cups Jumbo Lump Crab Salad see above
- 8 slices bacon cooked
- 1 large tomato sliced
- Place mayo, sour cream, Dijon, lemon juice, Old Bay, onion, and dill in a large bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Add the crab meat to the bowl, and gently stir to combine (being careful not to break up the lumps).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the wraps.
- Place tortillas on a clean, flat surface. Divide mayonnaise between the wraps (1 tablespoons per) and spread almost to the edges (this will help keep our wraps sealed). Divide the lettuce leaves between the wraps, placing the crab salad on top of the lettuce leaves (this will help keep our wraps from getting too soggy, the lettuce leaves will act as a nice barrier between the tortilla and the salad).
- Top the crab salad with bacon and tomato slices and roll the tortillas into a tight cylinder, tucking in the ends.
- Want to jazz up your club? Feel free to add in any and all of your favorite sandwich fixings. Swiss cheese or pepper jack is a personal favorite for this wrap, as well as pickles, onion, avocado, or sprouts.
Why is Jumbo Lump Crab Meat so Special?
One of the most coveted bits of the blue crab is the jumbo lump meat. Jumbo lump crab meat comes from the large muscles connected to the fin-like swimming legs, an area most crab aficionados call ‘the body’. It is the largest, succulent, delicate, and most desired part of the crab. Because these pieces are tucked away in a tough-to-reach part of the crab, jumbo lump crab meat must be picked by hand.
How to Thaw Jumbo Lump Crab Meat?
We ship our crab meat frozen, this helps retain the just-picked meat’s freshness as well as preserves the crab meat for transit. You can keep the crab meat stored in the freezer for up to 4 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply place the crab meat in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. We also recommend gently draining your crab meat before preparing your meal. Simply upend the container into a colander and gently spread out the crab meat. Give the colander (or strainer) a couple gentle shakes, then transfer the crab meat to a paper towel-lined plate.
Buy Maryland Crabs Online
The Chesapeake Bay is just marvelous. Its natural beauty and abundance has sustained our region and its people for a millennia. Cameron’s Seafood is proud to be a True Blue certified partner, which means that we only sell 100% authentic Maryland crabs, crab cakes, and crab meat. We are very proud of our home and the seafood provided from the Chesapeake Bay’s waterways. You deserve the best jumbo lump crab meat in the world, our pride and joy, delivered right to your door.
Click here to explore all of our True Blue certified blue crab options, from whole crabs to creamy crab soups to jumbo lump, we have something delicious for everyone.
About the author
Patterson Watkins is a professional chef with over 17 years of experience. With a robust career in restaurants, contract dining and catering (including 4 Summer Olympic posts preparing food for the athletes!) Patterson joined the Cameron’s Seafood team at the end of 2018 to concoct some delicious recipes with our premium seafood items as the centerpiece.