Cold Crab Dip with Crudités
Summers in Maryland are a celebration of all-things crab. The delicate, sweet, buttery blue crabs are the product of a bountiful Chesapeake Bay. There are few things Marylanders love more than a summer filled with crab related meals and recipes.
Lump crab meat is composed of smaller pieces of jumbo lump as well as smaller pieces of meat from the body. Like jumbo lump, lump crab meat is absolutely delicious, tender, delicate, sweet, and buttery. The perfect protein solution for summertime treats. With this appetizer recipe, we keep things cool with a cold crab dip using fresh seasonal veggies to dip and scoop.
Best Summer Veggies for Dipping and Scooping
Crudités, pronounced “krew-dee-tay”, are raw or lightly blanched vegetables that can be portioned into smaller pieces, sticks, or slices, and served with dip. The best rule of thumb for determining which veggies will make the crudite ‘cut’ is to use what is in season and to look for bright, vibrant, and show stopping quality. In early summer, you’ll see oodles of lettuces, radishes, asparagus, carrots, peas, cucumbers, celery, fresh herbs, and cauliflower. Later in the season, mid-late summer, you’ll start seeing more tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, beans, broccoli, and corn. All of these vegetable options make for an excellent platter and partner for our cold crab dip.
Cold Crab Dip with Crudités
- 8 oz cream cheese softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. Camerons Seafood Lump Crab Meat
- Parsley chives, or scallions for garnish
- Vegetable options: cucumbers baby bell peppers, cherry tomatoes, carrots, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, radishes, snap peas, or green beans.
- Place cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, zest, horseradish, Old Bay, onion powder, and garlic powder in a large bowl, whisk until blended and thoroughly combined, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the lump crab meat to the bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Transfer the dip to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh herbs, and serve with your favorite summer veggies on the side for dipping and scooping.
The Real Crabby Deal
We mean business when it comes to our crabs. Only the best Chesapeake Bay blue crabs will do for our crab meat, crab cakes, and whole crabs. All of our blue crab products are carefully packed the same day your order ships. Delivered right to your door, fast, so you can spend less time shopping and more time with your loved ones (or planning your next summer seafood-fueled meal). It doesn’t get much more convenient than that.
Do you have a tasty crab dip recipe? Cold or hot, we love a good dip! Share your tasty creations on any of our social pages, Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter be sure to tag us @cameronsseafoodonline.
About the author
Patterson Watkins is a professional chef with over 17 years of experience. With a robust career in restaurants, contract dining and catering (including 4 Summer Olympic posts preparing food for the athletes!) Patterson joined the Cameron’s Seafood team at the end of 2018 to concoct some delicious recipes with our premium seafood items as the centerpiece.