Soft Shell Crab Spaghetti
There are so many ways to cook soft shell crabs; you don’t just have to fry them. Wondering how to make crab spaghetti? Today, we’re featuring a delicious recipe for soft shell crab spaghetti with spinach and peas by Denise Mickelson. This soft shell crab spaghetti recipe is a colorful dish that includes spinach, peas, and sautéed soft shell crabs.
Cameron’s Seafood Maryland soft shell crabs are delivered pre-cleaned, needing only to be thawed before cooking. Our soft shell crabs cook in minutes, making for a quick and easy meal any day of the week.
Cooking the crabs over low heat will ensure that the sweet and salty meat stays juicy. The garlic, crushed chili flakes, parsley, and chives augment the flavor of the crabs without overpowering their subtle sweetness. This soft shell crab spaghetti is a simple and healthy soft shell crab recipe that is ready in under an hour.
Soft Shell Crab Spaghetti
- 4 Cameron’s Maryland soft shell crabs thawed
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- tsp ¼crushed red pepper flakes
- 12 oz dried spaghetti
- 4 cups baby spinach
- cup ½peas thawed if frozen
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley leaves chopped
- tsp ¼ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chives thinly sliced
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- While the water is coming to a boil, heat the oil, butter, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt in a large, deep skillet over low heat. Stir the mixture a few times to make sure the garlic doesn’t burn, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the garlic is soft.
- Place the soft shell crabs into the skillet belly side down and cook until the crabs are red and cooked through. If you have a meat thermometer, remove the crabs from heat once an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit has been reached. Shake the pan occasionally so the crabs don’t stick to the bottom.
- As the crabs are cooking, cook the pasta until it is just slightly hard in the center. Add the peas and spinach and cook for another minute or so until the pasta becomes al dente and the spinach is wilted. The vegetables should be a deep and vibrant green. Drain the pasta and vegetables, reserving ¾ cups of the pasta water.
- When the crabs are cooked, cut them into bite sized pieces and add them back to the skillet.
- Place the spaghetti and vegetables into the skillet with the parsley, black pepper, and a few tablespoons of reserved pasta water. Toss gently with tongs until the pasta is coated with the sauce. If the pasta is looking dry, add more of the reserved pasta water. Serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and garnished with the sliced chives.
- Tips: To add further depth to the dish, top it with some toasted breadcrumbs for crunch.
Buy Maryland Soft Shell Crabs Online
You can purchase Maryland soft shell crabs as well as many other exciting seafood options from our online store.
Last but not least, don’t forget to sign up to our mailing list by leaving your email in the sidebar of this page! We will frequently send you exclusive promotions and offers – no spam, we promise.
By: Melanie Craighead