Crabby Cream Cheese Schmear for Bagels & Toast
Looking for a fun and inventive way to jazz up your brunchy bagels or tea-time toast? Then let me introduce you to our new favorite spread…crabby cream cheese!!! Step aside smoked salmon and lox, there’s a new seafood option that we’d like to schmear and slather on our breakfast breads.
Crabby Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 pkg 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce optional
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz Cameron’s Lump Crab Meat drained
- Place cream cheese, Old Bay, chives, lemon juice, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer or whisk, blend until combined.
- Add the crab meat to the bowl and gently stir to combine.
- Spread crabby cream cheese over bagels or toast and serve with your favorite savory bagel fixings.
- Crabby cream cheese will keep, covered and refrigerated, for 3-4 days. You can make the cream cheese base (sans crab meat) a few days ahead of time but, once you add the perishable crab meat, the shelf life is limited to just those 3-4 days.
Optional Toppers: These are some of our favorite bagel and toast toppers to pair with this sensational spread. We love; tomato slices, baby lettuces, sliced cucumbers, capers, sliced or chopped red onions, sliced radishes, dill, parsley, and a little lemon or lime for a squeeze of citrus.
Ideal Bagels for Savory Spreads
Savory spreads, like our crabby cream cheese, deserve savory bagels to pair. Opt for the following when preparing your next bagel bar or use this list for weekly meal prep inspiration; sesame, everything, cheddar, jalapeño, onion, garlic, salt or poppy.
What is the difference between Jumbo Lump and Lump?
One of the most coveted bits of the blue crab, is the jumbo lump meat. Jumbo lump crab meat comes from the large muscles connected to the fin-like swimming legs, an area most crab aficionados call ‘the body’. It is the largest, succulent, delicate, and most desired part of the crab. Lump crab meat is composed of smaller pieces of jumbo lump as well as smaller pieces of meat from the body. Like jumbo lump, lump crab meat is absolutely delicious, tender, delicate, sweet, and buttery.
The Real Crabby Deal
We mean business when it comes to our crabs. Only the best Chesapeake Bay blue crabs will do for our crab meat, crab cakes, and whole crabs. All of our blue crab products are carefully packed the same day your order ships. Delivered right to your door, fast, so you can spend less time shopping and more time with your loved ones (or snacking on tasty bagels). It doesn’t get much more convenient than that.
Do you have a tasty blue crab recipe? Share your delicious creations on any of our social pages, Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter be sure to tag us @cameronsseafoodonline.
About the author
Patterson Watkins is a professional chef with over 17 years of experience. With a robust career in restaurants, contract dining and catering (including 4 Summer Olympic posts preparing food for the athletes!) Patterson joined the Cameron’s Seafood team at the end of 2018 to concoct some delicious recipes with our premium seafood items as the centerpiece.